The Truth About Natural Flavors

Leilani Wetterau, Staff Writer

When you see “natural flavors” listed in the ingredients of packaged or frozen food, you probably think nothing of it. Most people even assume that it’s actually healthy for you. AHS Senior Justin Li guessed that natural flavors “are made with actual ingredients, not artificially.” But seeing “natural flavors” on a package actually indicates quite the opposite. This article covers the truth about natural flavors. 

What are natural flavors? The term “natural flavors” has little regulation by the Food and Drug Administration. The only requirement for a natural flavor is that it must originate from either a plant or animal, not a chemical. After the source is identified as natural, scientists can alter or add to the substance as many times as necessary. Eventually, the flavor that began naturally, is combined with dozens of preservatives and additives. Research scientist at the Environmental Working Group, David Andrews, explained that “there does not seem to be much of a difference between natural and artificial flavors.” Many other scientists share this concern.

What is the difference between natural and artificial flavors? The only main difference between the two is that artificial flavors can be synthesized by any ingredients, but natural flavors are required to start with a natural source. However, both can be manipulated and look almost identical in the end. In terms of health, natural flavors are essentially the same as artificial ones. But chances are that the foods that contain natural flavors weren’t all that healthy to begin with.

The trickiest part about natural flavors is that they are non-specific. Companies are not required to disclose what ingredients actually make up these flavors. This gives large corporations the opportunity to disguise a paragraph of chemicals as “natural”. This is a major issue for those who are conscious about the foods they consume, especially those with allergies. Brands are only required to give further specifications if the ingredients are common food allergies, such as nuts, eggs, or milk. But if you are a person who is allergic to apples, for example, you would have to contact the company personally to be sure. To avoid the hassle, most people with uncommon food allergies opt-out of eating products that contain natural flavors altogether.

Natural flavors are definitely not what they seem. Sophomore Matthew Ma agreed that “it seems very misleading because natural means its original form,” but these companies are in fact using ingredients that are anything but natural. What can we do to be sure of the foods we eat? Unfortunately, the only answer is to avoid the so-called “natural flavors”. Cooking from scratch and purchasing a minimal number of packaged goods is definitely the way to go. So next time you’re at the grocery store, look out for the labels. Of course, giving in to an Oreo once in a while can’t hurt, but by saying no to these flavors, you will be much better off. With this newfound knowledge, you are one step ahead.

Graphic Courtesy of NPR.COM