Presidents’ Day

Presidents+Day

Emily Banuelos, Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered why your bank or government agencies are closed on the third Monday of February every year? In 1885, Presidents’ Day was held exactly on George Washington’s birthday, February 22. By 1971, the holiday was moved to the third Monday in February and it became a federal holiday. For a while, two Mondays in February celebrated our first president’s birthday and our sixteenth president’s birthday, Abraham Lincoln.

Federal holidays are observed by federal employees and agencies such as the library, postal office, bank, and schools. According to some government sources, “even some schools in Indiana are closed the whole week to celebrate George Washington’s birthday.” 

Many school districts make lesson plans to teach their students about our presidents’ accomplishments. Some schools and  communities may even hold special events like candlelight or walk. Stores also start to put their products on sale which many  people enjoy. 

Freshman Evan Mac says, “My church holds a potluck on Presidents’ Day to bring everyone together and enjoy each other’s company. As well as, talk about what the presidents have done in shaping our nation today.” 

Junior Tiffany Wong adds, “On Presidents’ Day, my mom and I go crazy shopping online because of the great sales but, we don’t forget to thank our presidents for all their contributions. My father and brother have a barbecue to have our family come together for dinner too.” 

However, more and more people are forgetting about the importance of this day and using it as a day of rest and fun, losing its purpose. For instance, President Lincoln led America in its greatest internal crisis, the American Civil War; preserving the Union; and abolishing slavery. Our founding father George Washington conducted the victory of our nation’s independence and was also a political leader, military general, and statesman.

Sophomore Miranda Hernandez adds, “Presidents’ Day allows us to reflect on the sacrifices our two greatest fathers made provide American’s independence.”

A tradition to is on President’s day a member of the U.S. Senate reads George Washington’s Farewell Address, which Washington gave at the end of his second term of presidency.

As Scholastic states, “Among other things, [the speech] calls on Americans to avoid the dangers of factionalism, or breaking into strong political parties.” 

George Washington and Abraham Lincoln will be deeply cherished forever by us for all their perseverances in making a strong foundation for our country.

Graphic Courtesy of VALLEYDAILYPOST.COM