Orchesis Dance Day 2020

Leslie Chen

For those in grades K-8, AHS’ Orchesis Dance Company (ODC) invites you to join them for its annual Dance Day on Feb. 8. The event will take place at the AHS Dance Studio from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 

According to ODC Vice President Jenny Namkoong, “Dance Day is a great experience for participants from grades K-8 to learn a routine from our Orchesis student choreographers.” Participants will be divided into groups according to grade level, and be taught a specially choreographed dance. 

“Not only will they have a fun, interactive time to learn choreography,” she said. “But they will also play games with friends and perform at the AHS Performing Arts Center for an audience!” The performances will later be uploaded onto ODC’s website and YouTube channel.

ODC President Scarlet Yang shared her thoughts on being apart of Dance Day. To her, it’s “always a highlight of the year”, as well as one of ODC’s biggest fundraisers. “I love being involved because I am able to make a difference in the lives of all the children coming to learn,” she said. “Their enthusiasm and energy are contagious and remind me of how dance can bring people from all walks of life together.” It’s also no question that the ODC members play a large role in the program, serving as both creative directors and even mentors for the younger kids. “Being able to not only choreograph and teach younger students about dance, but also give them advice about high school and bond over random tik-toks creates an unparalleled experience for everyone involved,” revealed Scarlet.

ODC members won’t be the only ones benefiting from the experience, though. Jenny shared that participants will receive many benefits from Dance Day. “There are so many things you can take away from this program,” she said. “Students will be able to gain stylistic exposure, make new memories, build performance experience, develop lasting friendships, and so much more!” 

Scarlet said participants should “get ready for a day filled with fun, lots of dancing, and lots of bonding! There will also be many interactive activities as we prepare for the final performance.” Along with the experience, a free Dance Day T-shirt will be included in the fee. So bring some snacks and a smile, and join Orchesis for Dance Day 2020!

Photo Courtesy of ETSY.COM