Christmas Around the World

Nicholas Chhay, Staff Writer

Christmas is one of the most popular holidays all around the world, and every country celebrates it differently based on their culture. For example, in America we decorate our houses, leave milk and cookies for Santa, put up a Christmas Tree. While in Japan, Christmas Eve is more celebrated than Christmas Day; Christmas is not a national holiday in Japan. Kids don’t attend school on Christmas Day, whereas most business will just count it as a normal work day. Here are some other examples of Christmas in other countries.
First of all, Christmas in Thailand isn’t a national holiday, and according to freshman Alina Itthichaichan, most Thai families “don’t celebrate Christmas” on Dec. 25 with trees, and gift giving. She also said that the appeal of Christmas was “too much for the malls.” They get in the holiday spirit and decorate the mall, and they also have discounts.
Second of all, Christmas in Indonesia is that Indonesian Christians love to celebrate Christmas. Freshmen Daphne Satzo stated that in Indonesia, Indonesian Christians “usually go to church on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.” In most churches, people create nativity scenes, and use them for Nativity drama performance. In case you don’t know, nativity scenes is a play typically played by children. This play depicts the birth of Jesus Christ. Daphne also said that “most Christmas trees are artificial and made of plastic.” In early December, huge Christmas trees are decorated and placed in most shopping malls.
Finally, Christmas in China is only celebrated in major cities, because only 1% of the people in China are Christians. Freshmen Isabella Dong stated that in these big cities there are “Christmas trees, lights, and decorations on the streets” and in the department stores. Santa Clause in China is called “Shen Dan Lao Ren,” which mean Old Christmas Man. As Isabella also stated that “sometimes the mail men might dress up as Santa” when he deliver letters before Christmas. Most Christmas trees in China are usually fake, and are decorated with paper lanterns, chains, and flowers. This is sometimes the “Tree of Light.” The only trees most people in China see are in the mall.
As you can tell Christmas varies from country to country, and because of this each time you go to a different country you have a new experience.

Graphics courtesy of VECTORSTOCK.COM