Mother of Georgetown Student Becomes 53rd Charged in College Admissions Scam

Kaitlin Lee, Staff Writer

Another parent has been charged in the college admissions scam. Karen Littlefair of Newport Beach, California, will plead guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, according to court documents. She paid over $9,000 to have a person associated with The Key, William Singer’s college counseling and prep business, take online classes on behalf of her son so he could graduate from Georgetown University.

William “Rick” Singer, owner of The Key and CEO of the Key Worldwide Foundation, made headlines in March for being the mastermind behind a college admissions cheating ring. He was supposedly paid about $25 million by parents in order to get their kids into colleges.

“All of these things, and many more things, I did,” Singer admitted. “I created a side door that would guarantee families would get in.” Singer has pleaded guilty to several charges and has been working with prosecutors. 

Singer and his company allegedly helped wealthy students cheat on the SAT and the ACT to get better scores. Parents hired individuals from The Key to take the tests on behalf of their children or grade their children’s tests. Some of the parents included in this scandal are actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin. 

On June 1, 2017, Singer wrote to Littlefair that “we have someone to take the classes.” She initially paid $6,197 to The Key on Aug. 4, 2017 for the Key associate to take two online courses. 

For one of the classes, Littlefair’s son was required to take part in a video conference with his professor. To solve this problem, Littlefair wrote that her son would be out of the country and the associate offered to use a “fellow male colleague” to stand in for Littlefair’s son. 

In spring 2018, Littlefair sent Singer to do “one more online course” for credit at Georgetown. The associate clandestinely took a course offered by Arizona State University in the son’s name. Littlefair’s son graduated from Georgetown in May 2018. 

As the scam is revealed to be bigger and deeper than previously thought, the public will witness how many people took part in fooling colleges with the help of The Key. 

Photo courtesy of THEDMVDAILY.COM