Homecoming 2019

Homecoming+2019

Robinson Lee, Staff Writer

It is that time of the year again! The sun is glistening, the air is cooling, and the clouds are creeping in this fall. The freshmen are well into their first month of high school, and the seniors are getting ready to wade through a marsh of college apps, both respectively preparing to begin the next stage of their lives. But in the midst of this circumstantial adversity for the elders and youngsters alike, fun is to be had, especially at this year’s Homecoming. In fact, this Homecoming will literally be out of this world with the theme of “Lost in Orbit”.

This innovative theme will be hosted at the Endeavor’s Samuel Oschin Pavilion at the California Science Center in Exhibition Park near the University of Southern California. The California Science Center is most certainly a place of learning during the day, but at night you are guaranteed to enjoy the space-themed venue as you dine, dance, and socialize under the gleam of the Endeavour, which retired a mere eight years ago after fulfilling its duty beyond our planet’s orbit. Indeed, a major selling point of Homecoming is that this is the last year you can dance under the Endeavour in its current pavilion. It will soon be moved to an upright position in the new Samuel Oschin Air and Space Center. This addition will make the California Science Center the largest science center in the western U.S. But before you rush off to buy your ticket, here are some facts to keep in mind.

Overall ticket sales started from Sept. 25 and will run until Oct. 10, but there are advantages to buying tickets as early as possible. For one, if you bought directly on Sept. 25, you could receive tickets for the low price of $50 with an ASB membership and $65 without an ASB membership. It is recommended to buy as early as possible as prices will rise by $10 between Sept. 26 to Oct. 1 and by $10 more between Oct. 2 and Oct. 8 until it ends at a final $15 markup for those who procrastinated buying tickets until between Oct. 9 and Oct. 10.

Students are ready to prepare for this event, especially this year’s Homecoming royalty: freshmen Prince Toby Luu and Princess Sydney Yee, sophomore Prince Hunter Victorio and Princess Audrey Liu, junior Prince Josh Mar and Princess Kaylee Cheung, senior Princes Eric Kim, Roshan Kannan, Matthew Suszynski, and senior Princesses Shayli Johnson, Lisza Lo, and Katelyn Wang. The Homecoming King and Queen will be announced at the Homecoming game. Congratulations to all of this year’s royals!

In an exclusive Pow Wow interview, sophomore Prince Hunter Victorio commented right after the royalty announcements that “it was great to win [the Homecoming title] in my second consecutive year. I’m excited [about] Homecoming and I thank everyone for voting for me.”

Come make the most of this high school experience, you will not want to miss out! Without a doubt, this Homecoming will be an exhilarating event to remember, with an exciting theme, venue, and special features to look forward to. Do not forget to buy your tickets early, and hope to see you there!

Photo by Gavin Do