The Effect of Sports on Academic Performance

Victoria Cheng, Staff Writer

Often times, people argue that extracurriculars like sports can lead to average or poor grades. Sports can be time-consuming, but why do some handle it better than others? Some critics also believe that athletes are less likely to achieve in academics or pursue higher education degrees. However, there is plenty of evidence showing that playing sports does not cause a decline in academic achievement. Though it may seem strange, many research studies particularly recommend playing sports on grounds of it being positively enhancing to academic progress. There are many benefits, including but not limited to, improving focus and recognition, test scores, and mindset.

One of the main benefits is improving concentration and recognition in school. Students who spend too much time on athletics are less sharp in their studies, but students who maintain a balance are likely more see athletics nourish their intellectual minds. According to The Bite, “Physical activity can boost observational skills, improve focus, and even develop our abilities to improvise.” In other words, participation in sports can hone a student’s focus, as well as benefiting them in other ways. 

Another key benefit of being physically active is that it helps improve test scores and GPAs. Some argue that if student-athlete GPAs are higher than that of non-athletes, it is because a minimum grade point average is required to play sports, and students who wish to do so strive to achieve that GPA. 

According to Public School Review, “A survey conducted by the Minnesota State High School League in 2007 and reported by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) found that the average GPA of a high school athlete was 2.84, while a student who was not involved in athletics had an average GPA of 2.68.” Furthermore, students who participate in sports are 20 percent more likely to earn top marks in math, science, and English. 

Last but not least, playing sports can also improve a student’s mentality. Other than just improving cognitive function, being active helps students develop emotional ties with their community and elevates their self-esteem. In a Forbes article by Kevin Kruse, it is stated that “the kid who’s the better performer, they think differently.” They are also equipped with time management skills, motivation to improve, and responsibility for their own performance. Not only does their mindset help them in high school, but it also helps in the long run.

Ultimately, countless benefits that affect academic performance are brought on by physical activity. Through sports, students are able to gain health benefits. Moreover, the greatest advantage is developing rewarding study skills. If you are ever stuck in choosing an extracurricular activity, sports are definitely a viable option. At the end of the day, sports can help you succeed in school while you enjoy your extracurriculars.

Photo Courtesy of BEVERLYHIGHLIGHTS.COM