Job Search: Chick-Fil-A vs. In-N-Out vs. Chipotle

Abhiyan Kota, Staff Writer

Many high schoolers, primarily juniors and seniors, look for job experiences or ways to earn money during weekends. After talking to many friends, the top three joints to work at were Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out, and Chipotle. All three of these chains offer their own pros, cons, and specialties, but in the end, they are all pretty good and are local. With multiple locations of each chain around the San Gabriel Valley, there is little chance of not getting a job. For this reason, facts about each chain will be gone over, and the reader should be able to decide which place is the best to work for him/her. 

Chick-Fil-A

Chick-Fil-A is your go to spot for great chicken, let it be salads, sandwiches, nuggets, and more. They are also one of the best job opportunity supporters for high schoolers and college students alike. Numerous jobs are offered ranging from the drive-thru to serving guests, or actually working in the kitchen. Amazingly, minimum wage with them is normally around $12.50/hour. There are some catches though. For one, your vocab is required to change to a more formal southern phrasing. Rather than “you’re welcome”, you are required to say “my pleasure” and other such changes. At first, this may seem easy, but according to Mashed, a news website, it’s actually takes time getting used to. Of course, there are the massive crowds, especially via the drive-thru, which means you have to be able to multi-task and deal with exhausting days. In saying all that, you do get Sundays off, and most employees actually end up enjoying their jobs, especially because of the respect each member has for each other.

In-N-Out

In-N-Out is the Californian staple for burgers and fries. There is no other local chain that can beat it. Just like Chick-Fil-A, you will mostly see high schoolers and college students working there. Employees have their own secret menu items they can make for themselves on certain days. They also get a free meal every shift and are obviously paid well, $13/hour. Employees earn gifts during Christmas and other holidays as well. Finally, managers of each location make sure their employees are happy and won’t quit their job. But, there are cons to all of this. In-N-Out can be a stressful place to work because of the quality of freshness that is required for each meal, and the rushes, lunch and dinner. During these time periods, there is no slowing down whatsoever, and with the uniform being uncomfortable for many, be prepared for a long shift. Overall though, In-N-Out makes sure you get what you deserve for the work you have done.

Chipotle

Chipotle is yet another haven for high schooler to work at, and just like the previous two, for good reasons. Once again, the pay is pretty amazing as you could earn $15.30/hour, if you work hard enough. The average minimum wage is $12-13. That is still pretty good. The thing about Chipotle that sets it apart is that there aren’t as many requirements as there for In-N-Out and Chick-Fil-A, but having them will make you stand taller than others. Some quirks include having a free meal per shift, 50% off select purchases when you aren’t working, and being supported by others like family, just like the prior chains. In fact, many of the pros are similar between these three spots, but differentiate according to the work environment. Chipotle is corporate unlike the prior chains, meaning the team will be more self-inclined in their own individual work, and there won’t be as many regulations like In-N-Out. Of all these things, what truly differentiates Chipotle is the fact that all locations aren’t consistent and there is a chance you won’t be too busy. This means a chance for hire could be taken away.

That is a look at Chick-Fil-A, In-N-Out, and Chipotle. All three chains are great to work at with their pros, but all have their cons too. Hopefully, this article cleared up some questions and will have helped you make a decision on where to work. Remember though, there could be some facts missing, so always do your own research to add on to your decision.

Graphic courtesy of REDDIT.COM