Arcadia FBLA: Success at 2019 Section Conference

Ally Fung, Staff Writer

On Feb. 9, 2019, 50 Apaches from the Arcadia Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) club competed at the 2019 Gold Coast FBLA Section Leadership Conference. Led by advisor and AHS physics teacher Albert Chu, students headed to South Pasadena High School and competed in a plethora of events ranging from Accounting to Public Speaking.

The Section Leadership Conference is the first level of competition, followed by the California State Leadership Conference and FBLA National Leadership Conference later in the year. Students from the 17 schools in the Gold Coast Section, one of six sections in California, came together at the Gold Coast Section Leadership Conference to compete in competitive events, vote for new Section officers, and network with other FBLA-ers.

Most participants competed individually in 100-question multiple choice objective tests or in a team of two or three, but there were also events that required presentations or speeches. Sophomore Kevin Tanzil said his multiple choice test on Agribusiness was “difficult and tedious” and “harder than last year’s” Agribusiness test, but still found it interesting and rewarding.

Besides competing, participants had the option to participate in workshops based on various business-related topics, like “The Power of Networking and Internships” and “Financial Literacy for Life”. Section officers held a canned food drive, as well as a Twinkle Boba fundraiser to raise money for FBLA’s national charity partner, the March of Dimes.

Many Apaches earned awards for placing in the top ten of their events and 22 participants qualified for the California FBLA State Leadership Conference, to be held in Sacramento from Apr. 25 to 28. Other students may compete at State in events that start at State or through becoming one of two “wildcards” that a school may send. Wildcards are students who competed at Section, but didn’t place high enough to qualify for State. No doubt Section was one of “the most fulfilling experiences yet” as 2018 to 2019 Gold Coast Section President Christian Sim hoped it would be. Congratulations to all Apaches who attending the 2019 Gold Coast Section Leadership Conference, and good luck to those advancing to State!