Thank You, Mr. Silah

Ella Tang, Staff Writer

Most students like easy teachers because it is simpler to get better grades. When students get a tough teacher, they often complain about how teachers grade too hard and accept no late work. Many students would rather take the same course with an easier teacher because those teachers teach exactly from the textbook and test everything in the book only. However, some of those soft teachers are also quite boring for how they don’t extend the part of teaching that is interesting, and for how they review everything with the same tone.

Unlike those mere teachers, Mr. Silah is someone that’s categorized  as “a hard teacher.” He is a gentle and serious teacher who cares about his students and what his students really need to learn. When handing a big packet of homework to teachers, most teachers only check if there is enough amount of papers. However, Mr. Silah checks the homework problem by problem. He cares a lot about whether the students actually try to do the problems and get the answers by themselves.

As Mr. Silah is an experienced teacher, he went through three different textbooks. For the class of Algebra II Honors, he went through three different textbooks. It was first the Docianne black book, then was the Docianne yellow book, and now, the green book students are currently using. Because of how long he has been teaching, he knows what students will need to learn for Algebra II and what students will learn for Pre-Calc. Sometimes, he tries to teach his students about simple things that will later occur in Pre-Calc or even Calculus AB. He tries to teach his students to write the answers in math lingo, which is what we are supposed to do after we get to higher levels of math.

Just as he is a solemn teacher, he is also a kind teacher. Mr. Silah accepts late work as long as it’s done without copying and efforts can be seen through those works. He teaches things that students will need to learn along with things that they will be tested on. Since he has been teaching for so long, he has his own way of teaching where he teaches important things with methods that will be easier for people to remember.

Last but not least, Mr. Silah is a marvelous teacher for how he is always willing to accept questions from students. He gives time in class for students to do their homework because he knows that students in AHS have a lot of homework to do. Sometimes, he gives extra credit work and is also willing to help the student if they have questions on them.

-Ella Tang, 9, Pow Wow, Staff Writer