The 18 AHS student semifinalists together with their counselors and AHS Principal Dr. Angie Dillman
AUSD
Categories:

Recognizing the National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists

The National Merit Scholarship is a prestigious academic competition in the U.S., recognizing high-achieving high school students. Approximately 1.5 million students enter the competition, in which only the top 1% in each state qualify for the semifinalists. In order to qualify, students must have a Preliminary SAT (PSAT) score of at least 1400, setting the bar at a very competitive level, as students average a score of 1050 in the U.S.

At AHS, the semifinalist round of the National Merit Scholarship has been achieved by 18 students, Avani A. Athavale, Minjun Cha, Lewis Cheng, Hei Yin Choi, Syed S. Hussain, Dhruti G. Kulkarni, Avik Kumar, Annette L. Lin, Mia Y. Liu, Don C. Luc, Max M. Ma, Zuni Ng, Atharv A. Prabhutendolkar, Anas S. G. Yousuf Mohammed, Catherine Z. Wang, Herrick X. Wang, Zejin Xu, and Evan S. Yen.

Spotlighting Seniors Avik Kumar and Anas Yousuf, the two share words on having this opportunity.

“I think being a part of the National Merit Scholars is something that will still take a while to get used to,” said Kumar. “I mean, for multiple years, I’ve looked up to former seniors receiving this distinguished recognition, and it’s hard to believe that now I’m in their shoes and receiving it myself. High school has been a journey, but I’m glad my efforts have been paying off.”

While rigorously studying for the AP classes he was taking, Kumar stated that he eventually saw the PSAT as just another test.

“In a way, it does represent a sort of culmination of my efforts,” said Kumar. “The PSAT does, after all, assess you in the two biggest disciplines: math and English. To have received this distinction is equivalent to recognizing proficiency in both these disciplines, something which I believe does wholeheartedly reflect my multidisciplinary and ever-learning identity.”

Another AHS student in the process of the National Merit Scholarship Program is senior Anas Yousuf.

Throughout the process, Yousuf explained that while he did prioritize studying for the PSAT, it came second to his school and personal life. Yousuf ensured that he had adequate time to prepare and started studying weeks in advance to avoid stressing the week of the test.

“At the end of the day, a test like the PSAT is extremely difficult to score above the cutoff for National Merit and it is simply an extra achievement, not something that defines you,” Yousuf said. “Along with that, start preparing at least 2-3 weeks before the test as well as not being too stressed about it.”

“Being a National Merit Scholar definitely helps me in my college applications, but what I’ve learned from this is that putting in hard work will definitely help you achieve your goals no matter how simple or difficult the task may be,” Yousuf added. “It is important to develop a good work ethic and to always put in effort.”

Recognizing students based on their PSAT/NMSQT scores, AHS awarded 18 students who represent those attributes. The semifinalists will later be notified to submit applications to apply for competitive scholarships, varying among colleges. If they advance to the next step, financial aid and national recognition can be a part of their support system.