Thank You, Past English Teachers

Sophia Li, Sports Editor

“The capacity to learn is a gift; the ability to learn is a skill; the willingness to learn is a choice” – Brian Herbert.

Herbert’s quote, in and of itself, demonstrates the limitless potential learning has to offer to enhance one’s life. However, learning with such fervor doesn’t come without the support of teachers, who are too often overlooked for inspiring young minds. To honor them, specifically my past English teachers, I would like to alter this quote:

“The capacity to teach is a gift; the ability to show is a skill; the willingness to believe is a choice.” 

It goes without saying that when looking back on one’s life, many can attest that a select group of educators have been monumental in shaping them to be the person they are today. In particular, my past English teachers have imprinted life with lessons that will forever shape the adventure of my tomorrow. 

Let’s start from the beginning. 

Up until eighth grade, I felt “meh” about English. I really liked to read, but because of my ability to recite the time tables at lightning speed (yes, I don’t know why I thought I was cool), and was in Math 7/8 as a sixth grader, English was constantly overshadowed. 

Yet after switching teachers midway through eighth grade, I found myself occupying the spare table in Mrs. Roberston’s English class. I was the only new student in the class, and on my first day Mrs. Robertson mistook me for an office student dropping off a call slip. However, the emergence of awkwardness washed off with her warm gesture for me to join their class and listen in on their discussion of The Outsiders

With the weeks that followed, Mrs. Robertson had changed my perception of English. I had not only learned about her profound hatred of bananas, but also grown to appreciate her simplistic, quite humorous, and unique nature. Her quirky nature and how she emphasized how mushy and disgusting bananas were made English class so funny. I even remember writing a narrative about her finally conquering her fear by eating a banana, and turning it into a prank by revealing it was just an illusion of Santa Claus all along!

In her class, I was living in Martha Roberston world: learning English through the eyes of a sophisticated language-lover. I could tell that she understood me, 100% of the growing and peculiar teenager I was. Mrs. Robertson often suggested I examine characters and their motives. One time when the class was starting Walk Two Moons, I realized I had already read the book, so I was fully aware of the plot twist at the end. Being the open-minded person that she is, Mrs. Robertson allowed me to start on a different book, while curating special assignments for me to complete on my own each week. 

This instance sums up Mrs. Robertson’s love and dedication for ensuring that all her students continue to grow as they embark on their journey in appreciation of literature. She had the ability to show students, rather than telling students, and most definitely believed in her students to succeed. Mrs. Robertson, thank you for being you, for being the banana-hating, casually funny, compassionate, and understanding person you are. I’m grateful to call you my eighth grade English teacher (more like half of eighth grade though), and for truly being the first spark for my interest in English. 

The end of one chapter marks the beginning of the next. Unfortunately, the beginning of the next chapter of my high school years started in my room, smack-dab in front of my computer monitor. Fortunately, I saw the fun-loving and bright smile of Mrs. Grubbs. 

Mrs. Grubbs was my English 9 teacher. To call her that, though, is an understatement. It’s hard to sum it up, but she is everything one would want in any guiding figure: passionate mixed with compassion, funny mixed with mature, lighthearted mixed with meaningfulness. 

No matter who it is, where, when, or how, Mrs. Grubbs radiates positive energy like no one else, always ready to catch up and have a conversation with you. Only after meeting her in-person did I realize how much I missed out on. Because I first met her through online school, I was unaware of her deep fondness for Slytherins and bobblehead figures, though her love for the Dodgers was established in class from the first day of school. Everything about her classroom to Mrs. Grubbs herself ensures a safe and warm environment for students to be academically challenged. However, Mrs. Grubbs is not only an amazing person, but an exceptional educator. Whether it’s watching the short film Bao, filming a flipgrid for my “perfect mate”, discussing R&J, or my favorite, writing the “This I Believe” essay, Mrs. Grubbs makes an already gratifying subject that much more exciting.

Whether it’s bringing more awareness to the ever-changing world around us to her open and optimistic character, Mrs. Grubbs is known as her students’ second mother, guiding them through some of the toughest years of their lives. Even from looking at her through the screen, I sensed her trust and confidence in me and willingness to assist me on my learning journey. From providing feedback on my essays, leaving voice memos, or sending me programs I would be interested in, Mrs. Grubbs has been so enthusiastic. See what I mean? There are too many things to say that cannot be expressed into words. 

Mrs. Grubbs, thank you for believing in me, and for always encouraging me to be that much better. Thank you for being yourself, and everything you do for the people you care about. As such an inspiring and accomplished teacher, I look up to you in so many ways.

As tenth grade came around the corner, I was contended to take an English class that, for the first time, was not regular English. Looking back, I can say that the cards played in my favor, as I had Mrs. Lee for English 10 H. She’s kind hearted, quirky, thoughtful, and effortlessly humorous, and I can’t believe how lucky I am to have her for The Arcadia Quill! Unfortunately, one of the rules of writing this article is that writers can’t write about anybody in the class, including Mrs. Lee, so I can’t express how great of a teacher she is. 

That brings us up to now, where I have the wonderful Ms. Zaidi. From the outside, her room looks just like any other room in D-row: white plastered walls and same-colored maroon doors. However, once you step inside her room, you know you’re in a different world: flamingo statues, a SPACECAT (literally), and inspirational quotes above the whiteboard. 

Before even walking into her classroom, I knew I had the best luck ever in having her as my AP Lang teacher. Upperclassmen were so eager to tell me about Ms. Zaidi, as she was surrounded with words like “understanding”, “super sweet”, “great teacher”, “encouraging”, and maybe the occasional “she’s amazing but tough”. I couldn’t believe it. For four years in a row, I was blessed with seriously the best teachers? This must be the universe telling me something.

From the start, I noticed that Ms. Zaidi has the rare ability to teach in a way that promotes students of all types to succeed. She always makes sure she fosters a welcoming environment while encouraging students to succeed together. I value her dedication to teamwork and educational leadership, as she even promised us that if everybody passes the AP exam by the end of the school year, she will treat us out for dinner! One of the things I admire about her is that she encourages students to provide honest feedback so that we all can improve from each other’s work. 

When she teaches, Ms. Zaidi has a way of inviting her students to break down language, whether it be through rhetoric, syntax, or understanding our past to face the future. She has a way of dissolving the locks and chains that many students envision in English. Passages are no longer rhetorical devices, but have now become a wreath of rhetoric. Ms. Zaidi explores the relevance of issues like duality of human nature, the ideal of perfection, corruption, and the emphasis of connecting to nature–the good of the world. Her civic awareness is always present, as she connects characters and their motives to real-life situations, helping her students become aware of the ever-changing world around them.

Not only that, but her storytelling and wealth of knowledge makes her such a fun-loving and inspirational teacher to talk to. Whether it’s talking about our dislikes for ripped jeans, her plans to dress up as Maverick for Halloween (which was epic!), expressing how she almost went to Julliard and her love for her Muramatsu flute, there is never a dull moment with her. Ms. Zaidi has such a genuine and positive personality that it’s just so easy to connect with her on a personal level. 

Ms. Zaidi’s personality is just as exciting as her teaching style—she’s soft-spoken, but assertive and confident in herself. She’s fun-loving, compassionate, understanding, and a breath of fresh air– making fourth period the highlight of my days. Although I’ve only known her for less than four months, almost everyday, I can have a conversation with her before the bell rings, and continue to get to know her better. 

It is in Ms Zaidi’s class that I can pilfer away in my imagination, beyond the realm of academia. It is the one class that I can use my knowledge of the fact that Harriet Tubman used her ability to read to escape from slavery by looking at the Little Dipper and feeling the moss on certain sides of trees to guide her North. It’s the one class that I can use Michael Phelps, Eliud Kipchoge, Greta Thunberg, and all the other people I’m inspired by through my work. It’s the one class where I can be me.

It’s well known among the students and faculty at Arcadia High School what a fantastic person Ms. Zaidi is. She has the ability to touch her students’ lives. She has the ability to show them the tools and experiences that prepare them for years beyond, and believes in every one of them. So, Ms. Zaidi, thank you for understanding and being so kind to not only me, but thousands of other students that have come before me. You never fail to foster a welcoming and stimulating community that students feel safe and connected in. Thank you for being the strong woman, loving mother, compassionate teacher, and great person that you are. From channeling your aspiration of being published in The New Yorker to raising awareness about the fifth grade mission project, I admire how you stand up for what’s right and how you approach life with fervor like no other–one of the many reasons why I look up to you. 

From eight until eleventh grade. Mrs. Robertson, Mrs. Grubbs, Mrs. Lee, and Ms. Zaidi. Thank you all for being you, truly. Thank you for teaching, showing and having the willingness to believe. You four, the Big 4, have shaped my English journey and me as a person, as I continue to learn more about myself and the subject I love. I am so blessed to call you my past English teachers. 

Photo courtesy of PEXELS.COM