Thank You, Ms. Galloway

Kylie Ha, Staff Writer

“A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instill a love of learning.” – Brad Henry.

Teaching, an extremely noble profession that shapes the future, caliber, and the character of an individual is what counselors, teachers, and staff members at AHS strive to pass onto students.  The happiest, most fervent, and enthusiastic teacher offers not only worthwhile life lessons, laughter-filled childhood stories, but generates connections between historical past events to the present – Ms. Galloway!

History, the examination of the past in the present, not only reflects on heavy incidents, but looks towards the bright future. Ms. Galloway, teacher for Modern World History (MWH), Honors U.S. History (HUSH), and AP U.S. History (APUSH), encourages students in all her classes to discuss and engage with one another. Not only does she let students examine old events, but her purpose is so that a direct correlation can be made with the present. The interpretation of a historical, generic timeline that’s seen as a series of disconnected facts would be monotonous – Galloway’s fast tempo, clipart filled, bolded and highlighted terms are a staple to keeping things humourous and easy to follow.

Ms. Galloway genuinely enjoys to converse and engage with students, to debate and explore our motivations and hobbies. In a class with at least thirty kids each, she’s able to easily engage the whole class in an upbeat discussion and encourages critical thinking – not to have students become historians. In a chapter for MWH, HUSH, or even APUSH, Galloway manages the main core idea to get across to students by stating everything a non complicated process. Her “lecture” days have enormous pictures, monumental block letters and arrows, with only specific information on her presentations.

Her beaming face, active voice, and a secret ability to talk super fast isn’t the only thing that makes students love her – it’s how she sees the good in every student. During her rounds of going around tables to help answer questions that each person may have, conversations about yellow, pink, and red sugar beets and our personal lives are what makes it so rewarding for each and every student! Ms. Galloway’s ability to imitate a historical scene comically, random blurbs of coffee art videos, and endless tales of her experience with unicorn heads and her children is something that won’t ever get lost – it’s so memorable!

All throughout her classroom, political stickers of all kinds are stuck up on the walls – especially election nominees and running stickers. Ms. Galloway is heartfelt about teaching history and extending it out to young people – like the students at AHS. Through her carefully crafted themes and tones, it conveys historical content, celebrates diversity, models democracy, and educates students on social justice.

The first and last thing students usually see in her class is her glowing smile and the sound of her bubbly, vivacious laughter. Ms. Galloway’s whiteboards are crammed with plans for the current and upcoming week – and with drawings by students that simply express their love in a way that cannot be said or heard.

While her classes may be challenging and demanding, it only prepares students to focus on the big idea picture and look towards what lies ahead. The method in which Ms. Galloway teaches cannot be described, it’s her pure dedication, grit, and and devotion. Those who have a class in D113 are in for a treat – her brightly painted nails, boot leg jeans, “Arcadia” school wear, and her traditional black buckle belt are an attribution to her rosy cheeks and lovely smile.

-Kylie Ha, 9, Pow Wow, Staff Writer