The Controversy Behind Foie Gras

Kylie Ha, Editor in Chief

Standing as one of the most expensive foods in the world, it’s no surprise that this French delicacy does not come by easily. Its production method has also faced great controversy and is banned in a number of countries. So, what exactly is foie gras, and why is it so controversial?

“Foie gras” translates to “fatty liver” in English. It’s the liver of a duck or goose that has been pre-fattened by force-feeding. This process is formally referred to as “gavage”. 

Foie gras is prohibited in the Czech Republic, Finland, Italy, Poland, and Turkey. In Britain, production of it has been deemed illegal since 2006, but imports are allowed.

Despite public build-up to ban foie gras trade and imports, the Euro Foie Gras heavily disagrees. Representing the foie gras production chain—breeders, hatcheries, producers, processors, and slaughterhouses—the organization believes the anatomical characteristics of ducks and geese are incomparable to that of a human. 

This is true—both ducks and geese do not have what humans have. Humans have what is called the glottis, a slit-like opening in our throats that control airflow, while ducks and geese have an elastic esophagus that has the ability to expand. 

This extensive force-feeding process that takes weeks in advance is an expensive process for both materials and production. The labor-intensive cost split between feed material and maintenance of the livestock stands as two factors that make it so costly. Liver from different animals is just a fraction of the price, but the main reason foie gras weighs in from anywhere between $40 to $80 per pound is because of a limited supply of fatty livers. The fat-producing foods the birds are fed are said to enrich the liver as a whole—making it seem like a form of butter. 

It’s also becoming more costly to foie gras breeders and producers because of animal rights activists. Put on the list of the most inhumane foods in the world, there are a slew of regulations that place tight restrictions on the supply chain. 

In May 2021, the United Kingdom (UK) released an action plan to improve the overall welfare and conservation of animals. Not only does it introduce new, improved measures for transport, end the export of live animals for fattening and slaughter purposes, and formally recognize animals as sentient beings, this comes as a big change. 

In the case of foie gras, the UK plans to examine the banning of sales, much to the protest of production organizations and farmers who state the process is nothing more than another form of harvest. 

Judy Liu, a senior taking French 3 at Arcadia High School, recently traveled to France with some of her classmates to experience the culture of the language she is learning. When asked about foie gras, she stated that “because [it] can be produced in an ethical manner, I would be open to trying this delicacy. This comes with the understanding that the foie gras I would be consuming has been sourced from a reputable establishment aimed at preventing animal cruelty.”

Though there are certain requirements to the making of foie gras, such a process is one to be inspected—with it being such an exceptional product, it’s no doubt that any foie gras produced must be sourced ethically from the beginning production step. 

Photo courtesy of WIKIMEDIA COMMONS