“Mamma Mia!” Review

Vritti Godani, Staff Writer

For the first time in two years, the Arcadia Stage Theatre Company had the opportunity to perform their annual spring musical in person with a live audience. With shows on Mar. 17, Mar. 18, and Mar. 19, and 3 out of 4 shows being sold out, it is safe to say that audiences were anticipating the musical, Mamma Mia!, and had high expectations. From the lighting and set to the choreography and acting, the show was adored by the audience and people of all ages. 

For starters, the set of the show, built by Arcadia High School (AHS) Stagecraft students, perfectly matched all the show’s needs. The musical takes place in Greece and on various platforms such on a boat, in a bedroom, and in a disco, and the set accommodated for all those spaces. With a bedroom that rolls out and lighting that made the Performing Arts Center feel like a big dance party, the set made the audience feel as though they were transported into the various scenes and were active participants of the musical. The lighting couldn’t have been better and perfectly matched the energy of the music and performances. The lighting did not feel like an extra or as if it was just there, it felt like it was intertwined with the performances, and the performances would not have been the same without it. 

“As soon as I walked in, the set took me by surprise,” stated AHS junior Julienne Granadino. “It looked like it had been taken straight out of the movie, and it made me even more excited for the performance.”

The characters were well cast, and each actor played their role thoroughly. Each actor went so in-depth with their characters, and the personalities of the characters were clearly conveyed through the actors. The choreography was upbeat, just like the music, and it was impressive how well some of the characters were dancing considering that some of them had no previous experience with dancing, and given the advanced choreography, they performed very well. The vocals and singing also made the performance so much more enjoyable. All the voices harmonized well, and it was extraordinary how they managed to dance, sing, and speak dialogue all at the same time. 

“I loved how committed the cast was to their characters,” said AHS sophomore Edward Baker. “The show would not have been as good as it was without their efforts.”

The costumes fit characters and their personalities, as well as they could have and the beach-themed outfits from the extras added to the summer-like and warm feel of the musical. The costumes went well with the dance performances and music and the bright and shiny suits during the encore signified the music of ABBA and matched the energy of the whole show. 

Overall, this musical was not only entertaining, but it was fun and it incorporated the audience, which is not common. The enthusiastic choreography and breathtaking set added to the already impressive performance and it couldn’t have been better!

Photo courtesy of Soraya Pico