Glass Painting: A Money-Making Hobby

Henrina Zhang, Staff Writer

As high schoolers, we are fairly limited on making money. But side hustles and small businesses are some things students can do to earn money. Having a small business is time-consuming, and usually requires some skill, so the idea of starting one may be intimidating. But turning a hobby into a source of income isn’t as daunting as it may seem. And one popular trend for students has been glass painting.

Sophomore Chloe Hang, a student with her own glass painting small business, said, “I saw a lot of people on the internet who were painting their favorite anime characters on glass. I was also into anime at the time, so why not combine two of my favorite things into one?”

Glass painting, painting on a piece of a glass-like material, is an attainable skill to have, and it sells for a good amount of money. To make a glass painting, you only need a few materials: acrylic paint, an inking pen, a paintbrush, and a suitable tile or glass. The materials do not cost a great amount, and this hobby is a little more time-consuming. This is the perfect opportunity for students who like to draw and paint and want to make some cash!

To start a glass painting, the first step is to choose what you want to draw. Normally, a client will either ask for a piece you are advertising, or a custom piece, in which they will send you a reference picture. Hang mentioned that most of her clients request anime-related paintings. Some may also request special designs.

Once you know what you are drawing, printing out a template is highly advised. You could free-hand the template, but tracing is significantly easier, and it produces a higher-quality drawing. After you have traced your template, you need to paint. 

Glass painting is tricky, so there are many steps in completing a quality product. Keeping in mind that the first layer is what shows up, you should start with painting the smaller details, like eyes, mouth, and shading. Then, move on to the larger areas, including clothes, hair, and skin. Don’t be afraid to layer, and make sure to let the previous coat dry. 

When asked about the easiest and most difficult parts of glass painting, Hang answered “Some of the pictures that are sent to me have very small details. It’s a tedious job to make sure that I nail down those details so that the painting looks its best! As for the easiest part, I would say painting on the biggest details, like the character’s skin or hair. It makes the painting come to life.”

You can sell your art on multiple platforms, including Etsy, Instagram, etc. Price them as you see fit, but commissions are on average $20-$30. 

Hang stated that “from August 2020 to now, I’ve sold 100+ paintings on my Etsy shop/Instagram. I’m glad to be receiving good reviews so far, and everyone I’ve worked with has been very sweet and flexible. I hope to be selling my art for a long time.”

Glass painting is an art, so don’t be discouraged if you can’t get it down the first few times. But it is a creative method of exploring painting and running a business. 

“It takes practice! You won’t make a perfect painting your first time, just be patient and learn from your mistakes. Make sure you research what materials you are using as they could make or break your painting! I’m sure you’ll create great art.” 

Photo Courtesy of PIXABAY.COM