Senior Column — Jenny Qiu ‘21

Jenny Qiu, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Dear Future Me,

It’s a scary time right now. I’ve recently turned 18, I’ve still got a few AP tests to take, and I’m headed off to college, leaving the comfort of my home and family behind. I still can’t quite comprehend this idea of graduating high school, going someplace new for college, and essentially, becoming an adult. I feel overwhelmed with a whole variety of emotions: fear, relief, nervousness, joy, and more. I’ll be honest. I am afraid of what is to come, and I find myself trying to live in the present. Instead of stressing myself out by thinking too far into the future, I’ll reflect on my past four years that have led me up to this moment.

I remember my freshman year being so exciting. An entirely new campus with new teachers and new friends. I enjoyed my classes, and it was fun. I hadn’t yet felt the pressure that came with being a student at Arcadia High School; being expected to have perfect grades, being extremely involved, and overall, being the ideal student. I look back at my freshman year fondly, in which I felt there was a pureness; a pureness in a love of learning, a love of my environment, and a love of going to school everyday.

However, I didn’t recognize this pureness at that time. Only as I am about to graduate and taking the time to think about the past four years am I able to recognize how difficult sophomore and junior year were. As I look back, I realize that I fell into the cycle of the stereotypical hardworking student at Arcadia High School. Getting all A’s, joining different clubs, stressing out over academics, and never taking the time to properly give myself a break. My biggest regret is not having the same mindset as I did as a freshman. 

But to some extent, I am grateful for the mindset I had as a sophomore and junior. I’m grateful that I had to overcome the hardships and obstacles that I experienced. I’ve learned many valuable lessons: how to balance my mental well being with my academics, what a true friend actually is, and how to collaborate with others. And although I may not have wholeheartedly enjoyed those years, I appreciate who I’ve become because of those years.

So to Future Me, I hope you have the same outlook on life as you did as a high school freshman. I hope you have that curiosity and wonder in whatever path you pursue. I hope you’ve learned to recognize the characteristics of a true friend, and with those true friends, I hope you continue to reinforce and build your relationships. I hope you are able to not dwell on the past, but rather reflect on the past. I hope you surround yourself with laughter and those who make you happy. Most of all, I hope you step into the world, not with fear for the unknown, but rather with excitement for the unknown.

Sincerely,

Jenny