Governor Newsom Pushes to Reopen Schools

Sean Yang, Staff Writer

A year of distance learning has flown by and with it comes the reopening of schools. Governor Newsom has been pushing to reopen schools to at least some degree and it seems like it is finally happening. With the help of a $2 billion fund, it seems like some schools will finally be reopening again.

The number of cases have dropped to the point where students will once again be able to attend school safely. However a proposal that allows local education officials to decide whether to reopen or not is expected to go through on Thursday, Mar. 4. Parents will also be able to choose whether or not they want their students to go back to school or continue distance learning.

“I look forward after that vote on Thursday to quickly signing this and moving forward to celebrate the reopening for in-person instruction of schools all up and down the state of California,” said Governor Newsom.

The $2 billion fund is being used to persuade students to go back to in-person learning as schools that are able to push all elementary grades back into in-person learning, as well as either a middle or high school grade, will be able to get funding. 

Even though plans of school reopening are quickly taking place, there are complications regarding vaccinations of school officials and students. 10% of weekly vaccine doses have now been set aside for school staff in order to get everyone vaccinated quickly. Even though vaccinations are still occurring, the California Teachers Association has stated that it is not important for all teaching officials to be vaccinated for in-person school to resume. This was a mandate that was demanded by the association during the legislation process.

In order to make sure that guidelines are followed after school reopens, a “Safe Schools for All Team” is being implemented that will conduct regular safety checks. This is just another example of the financial incentives being provided to persuade more schools to reopen. 

Additionally, if a school does not reopen when they meet the proper requirements, they will be losing out on their share of the $2 billion fund. Every day that the school remains in virtual learning, they will forfeit more and more of the potential money they can gain. This will certainly be the deciding factor when school administrators are deciding whether or not to reopen.

“Now the pressure lands at every schoolhouse door,” said lobbyist Kevin Gordon.

Photo courtesy of EDSOURCE.ORG