Celebrating Mr. Lisbin

Jorge Espinoza-Gonzalez, Staff Writer

As a student, I know how hard it is to stay on task, especially at home. I know how hot the days are, and I know how unmotivated we are. But we adapt and slowly learn to better manage our time than yesterday. Whenever we are forced to face the consequences of our procrastination and failure to complete assignments, we often antagonize our teachers. They don’t understand what virtual education is like. Right? 

Wrong; they do because they’re living through it, same as us. Students often overlook the fact that teachers are constantly changing and modifying their courses. They work from sunrise to sundown to make sure they can make virtual learning as easy as possible. However, our educators often don’t get the appreciation they deserve. 

One of the ways that the American education system has attempted to increase such appreciation is the ‘Teacher of the Year’ award. This award allowed schools, districts, and even states, to show their true and genuine appreciation towards a particular educator. This year, the Arcadia Unified School District named Mr. Barry Lisbin as our Teacher of the Year.

Mr. Lisbin, who teaches in the math department at AHS, was announced as the recipient during a Zoom call earlier this year. According to the Arcadia Weekly, Mr. Lisbin has been teaching in the district for approximately 29 years and continues to educate many of our friends and peers in his various mathematical courses. Mr. Lisbin is also an alumnus of the high school, which I believe made the award extra special to him. 

Recently, I had a virtual interview with Mr. Lisbin. Personally speaking, I truly felt that Mr. Lisbin wholeheartedly loves his job. 

I asked him why he decided to teach math, to which he told me, “I started tutoring math during college, so I taught myself math from the very beginning and then began teaching it. That is when I discovered my love for teaching.”

Mr. Lisbin told me that he loves the “people aspect” of being a high school teacher, that it was also the reason why he wasn’t “working behind a computer, all isolated.” 

I was a bit curious about the side of Mr. Lisbin that students don’t get to see, the one outside of the classroom. 

He shared with me that during college, he played collegiate basketball, to which he added, “I wasn’t very good, but I liked thinking that I was part of a community.”

Mr. Lisbin informed me that that was the secret to school: getting involved. 

“In high school, I liked looking forward to playing for the marching band,” he said.

I also perceived Mr. Lisbin as a very optimistic person. When I asked him what his best advice for freshmen was, he replied, “It will get better” and encouraged everyone to “do the best you can.” 

From my interview with Mr. Lisbin, I felt like he gave off a father figure vibe, almost like Yoda or Professor Dumbledore.

“Barry is just an awesome teacher but really just an amazing human being. He’s the kind of person you want to be around every day and he does whatever it takes to serve our students,” said Principal Angela Dillman to the Arcadia Weekly.

Like Ms. Dillman, many of our educators around campus have congratulated Mr. Lisbin for his award as well as his dedication to students. Mr. Lisbin, along with many of our great teachers, dedicates his lunchtime, afternoons, and weekends to making sure that his students are well-prepared for life. That is something that cannot go unnoticed. Students should be aware of Mr. Lisbin’s award, and all are encouraged to congratulate him.

Congratulations, Mr. Lisbin!

Photo courtesy of ARCADIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT