Overcoming the Fear of Speaking in Online Meetings

Joy Herrera, Staff Writer

Fear of public speaking or glossophobia ranks at the top of America’s fears according to Psychology Today. Students must dig deep and overcome this fear with every project or instance of class participation. Online classes have made this anxiety even worse for many students. Although students are now in the comfort of their own homes, it can feel like a spotlight is on you when speaking in an online meeting. 

There are a variety of reasons people can be hesitant or afraid to speak up in online meetings, but several AHS students have found tricks and tips that have helped them push past this barrier. 

Presentations are the peak of anxiety for most people with a teacher mandating that you must speak up for all the class to hear. However, there are methods to overcoming this fear. 

Allen Lin, a senior at AHS says that his method is to “pin myself to the screen so I can pretend like I am speaking to the mirror.” Allen says that it takes the pressure off of him when he can forget the amount of people in the call and just do his best. His method might not work for everyone but by trying out different techniques you can find a style that fits you. 

Senior Ivan Luc prepares for presentations by “keeping a separate tab with all my notes and stuff I want to talk about. It makes it easier because you don’t have to stare directly at the people you are talking to. You can focus on just what you’re saying.” Ivan finds that when he is not hyperfocused on the situation he can do a better job. He has found it easier to speak in class by setting small goals for himself like answering or asking a question. 

Setting manageable goals for progress is essential when working to overcome an obstacle. Many students have the desire to be the best at whatever task they undertake but when overcoming a fear it can be best to work slowly and steadily.

Senior Gaby Shen says that for her it is easiest to speak up in small breakout rooms. The stepping stone of speaking with a few classmates online has led to her being more comfortable in the overall meetings. She is still unlikely to plunge into a class discussion but by taking steps to get more comfortable online she has made progress towards her goal to speak up in class. 

Online learning and overall online meetings are not familiar ground for most people. The extremely unusual circumstance of a worldwide pandemic has forced people to step outside their comfort zones. It can be easy to discount the difficulties of this. However, slowly or quickly you are adjusting to the new situation we are living in, it is important to remember that it is perfectly fine to take your time adjusting. You are not alone as other people are also struggling and learning as well.

Graphic courtesy of BLOG.ZOOM.US