How to Survive a Concert

Leslie Chen, Writer

Concerts are a perfect place to experience live music and see your favorite artists perform on stage! However, whether you’re a seasoned concert-goer or a first-timer, these shows can be daunting and overwhelming to navigate. To ensure you have a great time, here are some tips to survive a concert.

Come early.

Coming a few hours before the show starts is imperative if you want a good seat, especially if you are attending a general admission concert. Familiarize yourself with the venue, as well as how long you plan to wait in line. If you plan to wait in line for hours, bring things that’ll help you pass the time faster such as phone chargers, cards, or money. Sophomore Doris Ma said that she tends to come “two to three hours early. That way, I can use the restroom, buy stuff, and find my seat well before the concert starts.”

Wear appropriate clothing.

What you decide to wear will depend on the venue type and weather, but here are some basic tips for concert attire. Don’t wear something too tight or difficult to move in, as you may want to dance and move around during the concert. Account for the weather if you’ll be outside. If it’s going to be warm, don’t wear too many layers. If it’s going to be chilly, bring a sweatshirt or jacket. Another tip is to wear close-toed and comfortable shoes- that way, you won’t have to worry about hurting your feet. 

Make sure you have enough room.

Concerts can be extremely cramped and leave you with little to no personal space, especially if you’re at the barricade. As soon as you secure your spot in the crowd, establish your own area and personal space. If you’re feeling uncomfortable or a bit claustrophobic, don’t be afraid to ask for people to move and give you some space; if necessary, remove yourself from the crowd.

Bring your own food or water.

Since food and beverages are often pricey at concerts, pack a bottle of water and a few snacks with you. Doris recommended “eating before going to the concert and bringing light snacks.” It’s important to stay hydrated, especially if you plan on dancing and moving around a lot. Luckily, most venues allow concert-goers to bring food with them!

If not, bring cash.

Some venues do not accept credit cards, so it’s always a good idea to have cash on you, especially if you’re planning on buying merchandise or refreshments. Not only that, but cash is much easier to work with for vendors. 

Have fun!

Concerts are a great way to let loose and listen to amazing live music! Don’t feel self-conscious to have fun. However, it is imperative to remember to be polite and respectful whilst having a good time; be mindful of those around you. 

Recently, many events and festivals have been cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19, following to government orders. Stay safe and healthy, and hopefully we’ll see the return of these events in the future!