AUSD Announces COVID-19 Preventative Measures

Leslie Chen, Staff Writer

As 14 new cases of COVID-19 have been discovered in LA County, AUSD has announced their plan to take precautionary steps to control the outbreak. On Feb. 24, the district was invited to a coronavirus media roundtable hosted by the LA County Department of Public Health (LACDPH) and the organization’s supervisor, Kathryn Barger. 

During the press conference, LACDPH reported that it was closely monitoring anyone who recently came into contact with affected individuals. 

“There are several scenarios we’re monitoring,” said Dr. Barbara Ferrer, head of the county health department. 

There’s either a travel history to an area with an outbreak, there’s exposure to known travelers coming from areas where there’s an outbreak, or the person is in close contact with a confirmed case.” 

Barger urges people to follow basic sanitary practices, such as washing hands, covering your mouth and nose when sneezing, and avoiding people if they are sick. She also warned people to plan for the possibility of “more extensive social distancing requirements” should the outbreak worsen.

AUSD has taken their own steps to prevent a possible outbreak among their students, as well as prepare for a potential quarantine. In its recent COVID-19 update, the district stated that it is “confident in [its] ability to continue to offer students an education… if schools need to close.”

In its newsletter, the district announced increased precautionary steps: providing custodial staff with additional hygiene training, refilling soap dispensers, continuing to work with local medical officials, and updating their pandemic plan. 

“We will continue to review and analyze our options and will remain in close contact with the LACDPH and the California Department of Education for further guidance if this option is needed,” the report said.

Along with these measures, AUSD is also updating its criteria for identifying and excluding students who are ill. LACDPH has asked that school districts include another criterion: “students with productive moist cough (spewing respiratory droplets), even without fever, should stay home.” 

Additionally, new students will now be asked about travel. Any families who have recently travelled internationally must have been in the U.S. for at least 14 days before enrolling and entering Arcadia schools.

“Our top priority is the health and safety of our students and staff, and we take this responsibility seriously,” the AUSD report assured. “If we continue to work together and follow these important guidelines, we can help keep our students, staff, and community healthy.”

Photo courtesy of AUSD