Charity Dance Show

Leslie Chen, Staff Writer

On Dec. 6, AHS’ Dance Department held its annual Charity Dance show. The show featured all of the departments in the dance program such as Beginning Dance, Intermediate Dance, Orchesis Dance Company, as well as other professional dance companies from the LA region. 

The night featured a variety of dance styles such as contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, and folk dances, leaving something for every audience member to enjoy. Sophomore Intermediate Dance member Jasmine Che admitted that she “felt challenged by this blend of dances, but everyone is so supportive and willing to help each other!”

Preparation for the show started months before opening night. According to Jasmine, rehearsals started as early as October. “We did all of our tech rehearsals in class,” she said. “We only had one dress rehearsal the day before the actual performance that was around two hours long. It was a bit stressful to adjust from the classroom to the stage, and I had to adapt really quickly.”

The night featured a variety of dance styles such as contemporary, jazz, hip-hop, and folk dances, leaving something for every audience member to enjoy. Jasmine admitted that she “felt challenged by this blend of dances, but everyone is so supportive and willing to help each other!”

Not only will the Charity Dance Show provide revenue for the dance department, a portion of the proceeds will go to a charitable cause. This year, they will be going to Doctors Without Borders (DWB), an international organization dedicated to providing medical aid to victims affected by natural disasters or exclusion to health care. Founded in 1971, DWB “is guided by medical ethics and the principles of impartiality, independence, and neutrality.” Through this organization, staff members travel across the world to provide aid to all victims, regardless of gender, age, or political and religious affiliation. Today, DWB has become a worldwide movement, with 67,000 team members active in over 70 countries. AHS’ Orchesis website stated: “We are very excited to be highlighting such an amazing organization this year. It has always been the Charity Show’s mission to give back to the community and inspire change through art and dance!”

Overall, the show was a great experience, both for the dancers and the audience. “I think just being able to dance in the show was an amazing experience,” Jasmine said. “Everything from the beautiful lighting to being around people with the same passion as me is absolutely crazy!” However, to her, raising money for DWB was the best part. “I think it’s crazy how by doing what we love, we were able to raise money to help people. All in all, it was a wonderful experience, and I’m so lucky to have been able to be in the show.” 

Photo Courtesy of Lloyd Fujiwara